Between Notes

Posted by: Tom,

I read an article that contained a comment from a well known guitar player about Jeff Beck. I don't remember the exact quote but basically he was saying that sometimes Beck would bend strings to create sounds in between notes and had the ability to string several together in a way that sounded good. Not really an A but not really a Bb either. If I try that it just sounds out of tune.

That got me thinking that either my life is out of tune or there are a lot of things in my life that are between notes. Between notes is hard because of the ambiguity. We are used to answers that fall right on the notes and if we find ourselves in between, the preferred solution is to just get back in tune. But is there value in staying in between?

There seems to be a lot of things that fit that category. It isn't really this or that. That family isn't poor enough to qualify for this program but they are not rich enough to make ends meet. So how do we help them? That person isn't qualified enough for that job but they are too qualified to dig ditches. That person isn't crazy enough to be institutionalized but not sane enough too...

It just seems like there is a lot of in between stuff in life. I don't know where I am going with any of this but I guess I feel kind of comfortable between notes and just want to say it is an okay place to be. So maybe I should stop trying so hard to tune up or down. I'll just stay in this weird sounding space and drive everyone else crazy.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com