Silence

Posted by: Tom,

When I was in high school and college I liked to have music or the TV on while I studied. I didn't pay any attention to it but I guess I just liked the background noise. The other day my wife and daughter were in my office and commented on how quiet it was. I guess I like silence in my old age and I'm not even 50 yet.

I never thought about how quiet my office is until my wife was mocking me by pointing out to my daughter how loud the ticking of the clock was on the wall. It is the predominant sound. They both shook their heads and left. The silence never bothered me enough to turn on some music. It's quiet and I'm just fine with that.

I also started to notice that I like silence in other places too. One of the great joys I have every morning is turning off the bathroom exhaust fan after my shower. It's just a normal fan but flipping that switch puts a smile on my face. Silence is golden.

I think that is a small part of the reason why I like being the pastor of a small church. I suppose that is exactly why some people hate small churches and I suppose there is a lot of silence in larger churches too. But somehow complexity equates to noise in my mind so I have this desire to keep it simple... and quiet.

Well, that's all for this meaningless post. I'm going to go plug my guitar into my amp and turn it up as loud as it will go. Distortion here I come.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com