Knitting

Posted by: Tom,

I asked my son Adam who he wanted to see win the Super Bowl this year. It's not that I really care who he wants to win. (Texans) Or that he gave a logical reason for his choice. (He figures the Lions will be the last team to win a Super Bowl so he roots for any team in the playoffs who haven't won one yet.) I was just trying to inject a little testosterone into the conversations in our home.

It all started at Thanksgiving when Adam (He is a sophomore in college) announced that he was going to knit a scarf for his girlfriend for Christmas. I endured Thanksgiving week watching my 20 year old son knitting like mad while watching TV. A little disturbing.

The next thing I know his 22 year old, married, older brother, sees what he is doing and starts asking questions. The conversation gave me a queasy feeling in my stomach. My two oldest sons were having a conversation about knitting.

Adam came home for Christmas break with some knitting looms and plans to knit bigger and greater things. His older brother, Ben, started getting into it too. The other day Ben came over and as soon as he walked in the door he and Adam had a 20 minute knitting discussion about the hat and scarf Ben had just made.

It never stops. My two oldest sons are constantly in conversations with their mom about internet articles on knitting, new kinds of knitting knots (is that what they are called?), various kinds of knitting needles and sizes, and a host of other knitting topics. I just stare in disbelief and wonder where I went wrong while repeating, "This too shall pass."

I did get a new scarf out of the deal that Kim knitted for me. It is even my favorite color green. Unfortunately that nice understated green turns into bright lime green outdoors in the sunlight. Kim doesn't see a problem with that.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com