BMV

Posted by: Tom,

I went to the BMV to get my drivers license renewed. My old one doesn't actually expire until the end of the month so this was kind of new for me. I usually find out my license is expired when I have to show it to someone and they happen to notice. Luckily, that someone hasn't been a police officer at a traffic stop.

I usually put off getting my license renewed because it involves a trip to the BMV and I would rather get a splinter under my finger nail than go there. The lines are long, half the hoops you have to jump through make absolutely no sense, and an apparent qualification for working there must be the ability to turn the most glowing optimist into a brooding pessimist with a single glance.

Wow, was I surprised with my latest visit. I waited just 8 minutes before my number was called. The employee was friendly but got right down to business. Before I knew it I was getting my eyes checked and my picture taken. He asked if I wanted anything changed from my old license (unfortunately my weight is still the same) and if I wanted to keep my motorcycle endorsement (Yes. One day I hope to be responsible enough to own a motorcycle again, though it remains doubtful.). I signed my name 3 times, swiped my credit card, and was soon on my way. Total time for the transaction: 3 minutes, 50 seconds. Total time I was in the building, including time for me to walk in, up to the counter, and back out: <15 minutes.

Someone as been working at major organizational change. Now I suppose that someone will tell me that my experience was an aberration or maybe confined to one branch. But that isn't the way it felt. It felt like someone decided that the BMV was going to be efficient, friendly, and make sense... and they pulled it off. I was impressed. Maybe there is hope for churches.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com