Self-Made Man

Posted by: Tom,

I read a story about Tom White in the Boston Globe. White has been a very successful business man but his distinguishing feature is that he has given nearly all his wealth away. The article tells about a building being named after him in Haiti and how he really didn't care for that. He associated it with all those stories we read about self-made men who have accomplished great things on their own.

White doesn't think there is such a thing as a self-made man. Everyone has been helped along the way so a man's rewards are never his alone. In a sense, when he gives his money away it actually represents a lot of people who have helped along the way so a building named for just one man doesn't seem appropriate.

It was refreshing to read that because we seem to hold the idea of a self-made man in high regard. If we really believe in it we could be in danger of not getting anywhere because we refuse the help of others. I think it is only when we realize that we need others that we begin to reach our potential.

I also think the same is true in a spiritual sense. We need each other if we are going to grow spiritually and refusing to acknowledge that stunts our growth. We also tend to look up the chain-of-command for help and often overlook real value right under our noses. I need to be just as open to God working through the kids in the pre-school Sunday School class as I am those spiritual giants in my life.


2
I'm sticking this here because I just want to make sure and tag you with Kat's challenge today - http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheSecretLifeOfKat/~3/187165795/

I think I had the first response and stole the easiest quote, so you'll have to work harder. :-)

[Oh, and I still am waiting on your response to my meme on WWJS, if you care to participate!]
Sorry, I've always been to lazy to participate but maybe one of these days. As for this one, it would take me days to even pick out which quote to use. That has to be one of the top quote-rich movies of all time.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com