Jesus in a Boat

Posted by: Tom,

I baptized three people yesterday in a pond. I checked the weather at the beginning of the week and they said Sunday would be perfect. That was enough to convince me that it would probably rain. It rained all week but the forecast for Sunday stayed the same. Lo and behold, the forecast was right. It was sunny and in the low 80's.

I waded out into the pond and turned around. We had a good sized crowd and I asked them to come down closer to the water. The pond had a very gentle slope to it so by the time I got waist deep I was a good way out from shore. It was beautiful looking back across the water to friends and family on the beach waiting expectantly. The water temperature was perfect and the acoustics were great so I didn't have to yell. (The pond has high banks around three sides so I think that's why the acoustics were good.) I just felt very much at peace.

After the baptismal service was over I just stood there enjoying the water while people drifted away. I was tempted to go for a swim but didn't. I eventually followed the crowd up to eat and enjoy the rest of the day. But one thought kept running through my mind.

I wanted to invite everyone back next week for our worship service right there at the pond. I could lead from the floating raft in the middle. It reminded me of Jesus preaching to crowds from a boat. I'm not saying I can preach like Jesus or anything but I got to thinking that there may be more to it. I couldn't get over the sense of peace that came from being near the water. There is also something about people watching from the shoreline. At church I never get the idea that anyone wants to come up on the platform and join me. But at the pond it seemed like a good number wanted to jump in too. Their expectancy or yearning or whatever it was felt good.

I think I'm going to start a new church called "Church at the Pond." I just don't know what I'm going to do in the winter though.


2
You could move to Arizona.

I have two I'm planning to baptize in a pond Sept. 9. I am almost certain it will be 45 degrees and raining. Not that I'm a pessimist or anything.
We should have combined! And don't worry about it being cold. If it is, the water will seem warmer and they'll like it that much more. Of course, they may not show up for church for a couple of weeks as they recover from pneumonia.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com