Buzzing Guitar

Posted by: Tom,

With all the rain we've had in the last week the humidity has shot through the roof. That means m guitar is starting to buzz. Guitars are sensitive to weather and I don't take very good care of my guitar in that regard. I'll have to readjust the truss rod again which I don't like to do because it takes a few days for everything to settle down and be stable again.

I'm not an expert by any means but I think I would rather have the humidity than having my guitar dry out. My guitar is one of the cheapest solid tops Alvarez was making at the time so I kind of expected it to be less sensitive to weather and I think it is. I've seen dried out guitars and it is not pretty. I think Taylor Guitars had a video on their website demonstrating how to restore a dried out guitar and it was pretty graphic. I would hate to have my guitar go through that.

Humidity has done more damage to my guitar but it has been nothing major. I had a brace come unglued once and the neck moves around a bit as I've already mentioned. Those are things I think I can handle.

Maybe, if I had a nicer guitar I would take better care of it. I might even pay more attention to climate control. At the very least you can buy sound hole products that help control the humidity levels inside the body. But my friend Dan has a pretty sweet Yairi and he probably doesn't do anything with his guitar either. I'm pretty sure that if he doesn't do anything neither would I.

I have my eye on a Martin for my next guitar (I love the tone) but maybe I should go with an Ovation. Sometimes there is nothing quite like technology to overcome nature. In the end I'll probably stick with what I've got. They say guitars get better with age so maybe I should just be patient. I should also quit thinking a better guitar would make my playing sound better. As much as I hate to admit it the real weak spot in my music is not the guitar. It's the guy that plays it and he definitely doesn't seem to be getting better with age.


2
But my friend Dan has a pretty sweet Yairi and he probably doesn't do anything with his guitar either.

Hey, I grab hold of her and take her for a dance every now and then. What... am I supposed to buy her flowers or something? Yep, you're right, I am a clod at taking care of guitars. But a nice one does seem to stay together longer than my cheaper dates. You should get your church to buy you one! :)
My church is waiting for me to learn how to play first. :)
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com