In The Name Of Ministry

Posted by: Tom,

"Ministry" is a word that gets thrown around all the time in the Christian world. There are so many definitions for it I wouldn't even know where to start. It is starting to irritate me though.

It seems that somewhere along the line ministry got separated from servanthood. In other words, it is apparently possible to "do ministry" without being a servant and I think that is perverse.

The event that pushed me over the edge on this involved someone "in ministry" who was asked to do something for the organization they were ministering to that was beyond the scope of their defined ministry. The result was a hissy fit and a pity party about how bad they were being treated when they were trying to do something good.

It wasn't like they were being taken advantage of either. It was a simply an "all hands on deck" type of emergency and they were asked to pitch in. But somehow the fact that they were doing ministry gave them a sense of entitlement to a free pass from being a servant. People like this embarrass me.

There is a scene in the movie Amazing Grace where the actor playing John Newton is mopping the floor of a church. You get the sense that he is so overcome by what Christ did for him ("saving a wretch like me")that he sees no task too menial for him. I suppose some would look at it as penance but for me it is an indication of a humble heart. I think it does my soul good to do those kinds of tasks too. It reminds me of the servant nature of Christ.

I think we should ban the word ministry from our vocabulary and replace it with service or servanthood. Maybe that will clear up any confusion regarding entitlement. Maybe we have damaged the definition of ministry beyond recognition and, for that matter, beyond redemption.


5
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
- Inigo Montoya

I concur with your post completely. In fact, the servant nature of ministry is my main reasoning for why women can be in the ministry. I am not saying that women should be servants, but rather that even if one reads the 1 Timothy passages as saying women can't have authority over men, well, fine - ministry is not being a leader, but a servant.

Jim
This has been a public ministry message, brought to you by Tom.
Jim,

Concur completely? Inconceivable!

Interesting argument for women in ministry, though I'm all for it even without your argument.


Dan,

I'll have to ban you if you keep using that word. I bet you call it a worship celebration instead of a worship service too.
Gathering. Gotta go - I need to take my car in to get it serviced. :)

(And I mean it. Anybody want a peanut?)
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com