Sounding Off

Posted by: Tom,

Why is it that some of the biggest churches have the worst sound? Yes, I know that this statement isn't really true if you actually took the time to get the data. And I also know that there are plenty of small churches with lousy sound systems. (The good thing about the small churches is that the tubes most of them have in their amplifiers are valuable again.) But I don't get out much and I am amazed that the last two large churches I was in (for weddings) had terrible sound problems.

The first had a wireless that was going nuts. Lots of static and drop outs. I assumed bad batteries but wouldn't they have been careful about that since it was a wedding.

At the second church the pastor's mike gave a ringing sound like you get when the midrange frequencies are up too high on the equalizer. I was so distracted I hardly remember what went on.

In both cases the guy running the sound just sat there like he was oblivious to the whole thing. Now I have been told by our sound people how bad they feel when something goes wrong. They wish they could crawl in a hole and die even if it isn't their fault. But these guys acted as if nothing was wrong. Maybe they are just better trained than our guys are and have been to the class on looking bemused when things go wrong.

I just don't get it. It seems that with all the money they spend they would at least have a decent sound system.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com