Diversity

Posted by: Tom,

What a loaded word. But I think it is something people are really afraid of and yet many may not realize what a big issue it is becoming. Most people think of diversity in terms of race but I think it is much deeper than that. I think it has more to do with culture.

I think America is becoming even more diverse in terms of culture. Even the little, sleepy town that I live in has several cultures even though it is 98% white. And we don't do that good of a job of getting along or understanding each other. Some have pointed out that America is not a melting pot but more of a mosaic. I think they are on to something.

Churches are notorious for being culturalcentric. (Is that a word?) I think this is even a bigger issue than churches being ethnocentric because location has a lot to do with the latter but most churches can find multiple cultures right next door. The problem is we just have a hard time with people who are different than we are. We need to put more effort into finding bridges over the cultural gap.

The problem is even worse with private Christian colleges. They have become the haven of white, upper middle class, suburban, Christian kids. I get a kick out of professors at my alma mater who survey their students and then tell us what young people think about our churches. I hate to tell them that I am not really interested in what their sample group has to say because they don't fit the context in which I work. It gets even worse when they talk about youth and youth groups. Their students are from a different planet than the one I work in.

The question for me is how do we bridge these gaps. I know that there are some who would say the question is WHY bridge those gaps but there is something about being one with humanity that leads me to assume we must. Unity is kicked around a lot but we tend to be unified about things we agree on and then pat ourselves on the back for fulfilling our unity quota. The hard part is being unified when we don't see eye to eye and we aren't doing a good job at that point.


7
Tom, very good point about those "surveys" of HC students. I'm surprised I haven't had more of the same response you wrote about. I'm disappointed with myself. HC students certainly don't represent my own urban church. Kids at my church can't afford HC (though HC administrators will argue me to death on that).
The churches I see held up as growing churches seem (from my perspective) to be seeking the middle-upper class families first and foremost. I realize that these people need to be reached also, but I see a whole lot of blue-collar, lower income families who don't seem to be as "desireable" to many congregations. Is it because the yuppies are seen as people who can contribute (financially and service) while the other families are not? Is this a culturalcentric phenomenon?
Rev-ed, I think it is but I think society is even more culturally diverse than the categories you listed. In other words I think you can find multiple cultures within both "the upper middle class" and the "blue collar, low income" categories. I think there is a danger in not recognizing those differences.

As a side note, I think missiology is becoming more and more important for pastors in the U.S. but unfortunately we don't pay much attention to it.
Tom, I'll agree about the fracturing of sub-cultures. If we tried to list them all, we'd end up with an encyclopedia.
Ed, the reason we plant churches among middle and upper-middle class neighborhoods (the growing suburbs) is because we unduly exalt the idea of a church being self-supporting, and those types of people are most likely to make it happen. The idea of starting a church in a poor area, where the people may never be able to support a fulltime minister on their own--that doesn't fit our paradigms. Sadly.
You're right, of course, Steve. What does that tell us about how we value poor people? Shouldn't we have found a method to plant churches in such an environment? Perhaps a larger church benefactor...
Ed, UBs tend to be Republicans, like me. Republicans don't value poor people. I'm semi-serious. I helped plan a convention once which brought together the evangelical publishing association and their liberal counterpart. Those other folks had some messed up theology, but in their prayers and otherwise, they kept the poor at the forefront. Kinda humbling.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com