My Retirement Life

Posted by: Tom,

I think I've finally found what I want to retire to. I watched the movie "Secondhand Lions" the other day and I can just see myself spending half my time sipping tea on the front porch while chasing away salesmen with a shotgun then spending the rest of my time fishing with a shotgun.

Actually the movie is about living life to the end even after one "retires" and "dying with your boots on." It is summed up well when a child, wanting to know if the two uncles actually existed, asks "They really lived, didn't they?" To which the nephew who was raised by them replies "Yes, they really lived," meaning that they not only really existed but that they lived life to the fullest.

The title refers to a used lioness that the two "retirees" buy to shoot for sport only to find out that it is too old and sick to move. Instead they allow the nephew who lives with them to keep it as a pet and in one last burst of glory the lioness gives her life to save the boy (who she sees as her cub) and be a "real" lion. Notice the title is plural however so it is actually using the lion as a metaphor for the lives of the two uncles.

It is hilarious (at least I thought so) and every time I watch it I catch another tidbit of wisdom about life. I had not heard of it before which I thought was odd since it features heavy weights Robert Duvall and Michael Caine who do an outstanding job.


1
I really enjoyed the movie. There is a lot to glean there.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com