Home Turf

Posted by: Tom,

There are times when I get very focused on our worship service because I think there is so much riding on it. I want visitors to leave wanting more. I hope they find it inspiring and that it helps them encounter God. But then I'm reminded of what so many writers have said about the need for churches to quit trying to attract people to church and instead take the church to them. Unfortunately that's easier said than done.

I like my little corner of the world because I know it. I know where the dangerous parts are and there are few surprises. My world seems in balance. I can take sure steps here because everything is so familiar.

It is not like that when I leave my home turf. I feel a sense of unease because I don't know my way around or understand everything I encounter. It's uncomfortable precisely because it is all foreign to me. I'd rather be on my home turf.

I think that is the way it is with most churches. We stick with our home turf because it is comfortable. We can attract people to our church but most of them seem to come from other churches or at least they are people who are familiar with, and therefore comfortable with, our turf. But that leaves a huge segment of our population out of the picture. They live on different turf and they feel the same way about our turf as we do about theirs. My guess is that this is more than 50% of the population though I have nothing to back up that claim.

So here we are, each on our own turf. We feel uncomfortable on their turf and they feel the same way about ours. The only way to bridge the gap is for one of us to endure the agony of leaving home turf. I think Jesus makes it clear that we are the ones who should make the move. That means instead of trying to attracting them into crossing the bridge we need to go to them. Unfortunately most of us don't have the guts to do that.


3
Hey! You allow comments now! Cool. I wanted to comment back on your Men and Christianity post and couldn't - so I linked to you instead. :-)

Anyway, I agree completely. I waffled and worried over volunteering at the local food bank for so long. Then, when I finally made the decision I discovered something - it is typically one of (sometimes the) highlight of my week. Now I am champing at the bit (feeling rather "pushed" actually - I am not one to ascribe every fleeting thought and feeling to the Spirit, but this one really feels like it, and doesn't go away) to do more mission work. Not church growth work. Not "church as club" work. Just being out and helping those in true need.

Anyway, I think you right on the money. But as I've written multiple times, we know our Lord's voice because He calls us to get out of the boat and walk across the water to Him. How terrifying is that?
Jim, sorry about the comments. That was an accident.

It's nice to know others agree. Thanks for the comment. I think it is interesting that something you were hesitant about turned into such a great experience. We need as many of those stories as we can get.

By the way, in reference to your avatar, are you a climber? I used to read a lot of books about Everest expeditions as well as polar expeditions because I think we can learn a lot from those guys who risked so much to reach their goals.

Tom
Tom:

I was more into "mountaineering" or what the Brits would call "hill walking" than true roped climbing. Only did a few terribly small rock climbing things. Did much more around mountain climbing. Plus a lot of backpacking, snow shoeing, winter and summer camping, etc. You can check out my trip reports at http://dullroar.com/TripReports/index.html.

Per reading Everest (and other Himalaya) and polar expedition stuff, I am also into it. If you haven't read the books by Shipton and Tilman, you are really missing out. Great stories, great trips, and a bunch of pretty dry Brit wit (especially Tilman).

http://www.amazon.com/H-W-Tilman-Seven-Mountain-Travel-Books/dp/0898865387/ref=sr_1_2/103-5502315-3278222?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181744627&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Shipton-Six-Mountain-Travel-Books/dp/0898865395/ref=pd_sim_b_1/103-5502315-3278222?ie=UTF8&qid=1181744627&sr=8-2

Jim
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com