Politically Correct or Loathsome Indifference

Posted by: Tom,

A strange thing happened on Wednesday. I was making my normal rounds around the net checking in on the days news. It just so happens that I go CNN's headlines first to see if there is anything of interest and then move on to the BBC to see what they have going. I was surprised on Wednesday to see a headline on the BBC regarding a US mob death. I hadn't seen anything on CNN so I figured something must have happened somewhere else in the world. I was surprised then to find that the incident occurred just outside of Austin, Texas.

Apparently a man was driving his car through a parking lot that had a summer festival going on nearby. He hit a girl and knocked her to the ground. His passenger got out to check on her (minor injuries) and was set upon by a mob (accounts say from 2 to 20 people, if that counts for a mob.) He was left lying on the ground and was pronounced dead at a hospital a short time later.

I kept checking CNN figuring they would have a more complete report and was surprised when it didn't show up until much later in the day. It also disappeared rather quickly while the BBC has done a follow up story. On top of that it seems that very few people that I talked to in the days since had even heard about it so it must not have been very prominent in other media either.

Some have accused the media of not wanting to report the story because the festival happened to be the Juneteenth festival which marks the freeing of the American slaves. Apparently the "mob" was black while the victim was Hispanic though police have said that race was not a factor.

Today I'm left wondering what really happened. Either the media didn't give this much coverage for politically correct reasons or our society has reached a point where a mob beating a person to death isn't that big of a deal. Either way I'm appalled and feel sad for the victim's family. I wish I could tell them that I took note of their loss and I'm praying for them.


1
Anonymous said...
2:33 PM
Tom, in response to you comments, I believe it's a bite of both, 1) politically correctness and 2) they media takes a mob beating someone to death as a "norm". Now, a third thng is that it happened between peoples of color, Hispanics and blacks. The media does have an agenda, do not believe for a second that they do not, because they do. It's a business, please do remember that. Now, a guarantee you if it had been a white mob that had done this to a black it would have been worldwide news. There must be sensationalism in the story or that is no story! Simple. What could be more sensationalism than a white mob thumping on a black man? Come on!

I rarely read the media news nowadys, except for sports! And even that too, that been politically corrrected now.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com