Men and Christianity

Posted by: Tom,

Lately I've been hearing about attempts to put some macho back into the church. Apparently it is too feminine and men aren't attracted to a meek, mild-mannered Jesus. They don't want a sissy Messiah so they attempt to toughen him up a bit by squeezing every drop of machismo out of any verse that even hints at a tough Jesus. Yes, Jesus clearing the temple is their number one scripture.

In an attempt to attract men some churches are trying men only services. They are short, sports themed, testosterone driven events designed to appeal to our male warrior psyche. Grunts, war cries and in your face talk abounds. Stand firm. Stand in the gap. We are tough men who don't take crap. We are wired this way for a reason so it is just too bad if you can't handle it. We're ready to fight.

Here is a big giant rolling of the eyes to this nonsense. They just don't get it. The ways of Jesus are different. Thank God. I suggest they all read the poem (yes, a poem) "When I became a Christian" by Adrian Plass. Here's an excerpt:

I’m very sorry, Lord, I said, I’d like to follow you,
But I don’t think religion is a manly thing to do.
He said, forget religion then, and think about my Son,
And tell me if you’re man enough to do what he has done?

Are you man enough to see the need, and man enough to go,
Man enough to care for those whom no one wants to know,
Man enough to say the thing that people hate to hear,
To battle through Gethsemane in lonliness and fear.
And listen! Are you man enough to stand it at the end,
The moment of betrayal by the kisses of a friend,
Are you man enough to hold your tongue, and man enough to cry,
When the nails break your body – are you man enough to die?
Man enough to take the pain, and wear it like a crown,
Man enough to love the world and turn it upside down,
Are you man enough to follow me, I ask you once again.
I said, Oh Lord, I'm frightened, but I also said Amen.


That's man enough for me.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com