Artisanal Church

Posted by: Tom,

Bill McKibben wrote an article in the current issue of Books & Culture on French Bread. He describes the movement of bread making from small bakers to industrial giants and states that beer would be the US equivalent.

We went from hundreds of artisanal brewers to just a few dozen giant producers. This resulted in a uniform, hygienic and cheaper product. But many connoisseurs would claim that a lot of flavor was lost in the process. Not being a beer drinker myself I'll have to take their word for it but I have noticed the rise of the micro-breweries in the last decade or two. In fact I regularly hear advertisements on the radio for a local brand called WarBird.

It seems like most conferences I go to on church are conscious of this loss of flavor in church terms too. They are quick to tell you that it is the principles and not the programs that make a church successful. They say you have to adapt it to your own context. They say that but I often wonder how much they really mean it.

I think I like the concept of an artisanal church. It evokes in me visions of great care in selecting and mixing of the ingredients. I see a mix of not only science but also art in the craft. I imagine a loving connection between the craftsmen and the product, so much so that authenticity is the bottom line rather than profit. It reminds me of similar thoughts brought to mind after reading Wendell Berry about working the ground as a farmer.

I suppose there is a lot to be said for the product produced by those industrial giants. I know there are things they can do that an artisan can't simply due to size. But my bent is toward the artisan and if I were a beer drinker I think that's where I would be found. That also happens to be where I'll be as a preacher and I think that's O.K.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com