Unprotected Church

Posted by: Tom,

I'm convinced that most Christians in America are scared to death of unprotected church and that what North American churches have evolved into are nothing more than one big giant condom of protection so we can have safe church. We are so worried about sin tainted distractions that we have put up barriers between the church and the world to make sure we safely satisfy ourselves. And boy, are we satisfied.

We are so afraid of infection that we insist on having our own everything so that we can be in control. We won't join the community soup kitchen (unless of course it is run by a church) so we start our own. We won't join the community athletic leagues so we start our own. We won't send our kids to public schools so we start our own. We won't set foot in a bar so we start our own and call it a cafe, with no alcohol of course. We love safe church.

In the middle of all this we still talk about casting seed and hoping that some of it will land on fertile ground. Just so you know, those barriers work both ways.

Unprotected church, on the other hand, is wild and risky. You can end up battered, bruised, spat on, kicked around and betrayed not only by the world but even by those who you thought were your friends. It could kill you. Demographics are only used to find sinners so that you can live with them, not so you can avoid them. You don't root yourself to one location, you hit the streets. It is just not safe. But it is the only way you'll be able to plant a seed.


11
Wows. Very descriptive imagery :)

I often feel the same way you do. I recall a church that built a "Family Life Center". During the "vision casting" I remember the reference being made that many of their families used the area YMCA, but they wanted a place they could take their children with a nice Christian atmosphere. Personally I'd have bought the arguement that it was 10 miles away before the "holy huddle" argument.

But I guess I'm softening. Or perhaps I'm selling out. If someone can demonstrate to me that it is "entraprenurial" in nature, meeting a need that isn't currently being met, then I'm willing to pray about it and see if God's leading is in it.

But if it is duplication so we can say "its ours", I'm likely to be opposed to it.
I have no problem with a church "building for the community" as McNeil calls it but I think it is very rare. I would also say that finding places to be salt in places that already exist in your community should take precedence.

Your example is a good one precisely because you use the YMCA. It just boggles my mind when Christians undermine the Y instead of helping them.
It seems like the Apostle Paul is one of the first to put a sheath over local churches; he is contstantly threatening those in the church - if they are idolaters, greedy swindlers, etc, their not part of the kingdom. The black and white descriptions and the blistering opposition to sin seems likely to result in protected churches.

How do you be unprotected and opposed to sin at the same time? Are you suggesting that one takes primacy over the other?
I'm not sure if I understand your question entirely, Tim, but I think the salt and light passage is a good example of what I'm talking about. I think holiness is of utmost importance. If your life doesn't manifest the transformational power of God you are not salt and light. Yes, it is a lot harder in the world but that is the only way I think we can be incarnational. Something you and your church probably understand more than most, but since you baited me... :-)

The activities I described in the 2nd paragraph of my post are what I believe are just as dangerous. We just don't recognize it. It stunts our growth as Christians but also gives people a false sense of holiness.

I also want to say something about your last question about "opposed to sin." As I already said, I think it is imperative that we live holy lives but people often see the phrase "opposed to sin" as a call to condemn. We memorize John 3:16 and never read John 3:17. We even like to say, "I'll be your friend but I want to be sure you know where I stand with regard to your lifestyle." I wish Christians would stop that and just show the world a transformed life.
Tom, you naughty boy. Don't you know you're not supposed to talk about things like this in church?
I know what you are saying. Is holiness really holiness if you are not in community/loving unholy people? If you don't let unholy people come around you, how will you get the holy love of God into them?
I've been thinking about this issue a lot lately, namely in regards to performing weddings for cohabiting couples. I'm getting tired of rewarding those who flaunt a sinful lifestyle and expect the church to smile and say "God bless you!" as they breeze in and out. Mind you, I'm pretty tolerant of outsiders; I don't expect them to know any better anymore, especially since the norms have all changed and "sin" is completely ignored. What I'm talking about are Christian young people raised in the church and still shacking up. At some point we balance "Love one another" with Paul's admonition to "expel the immoral brother." In 1 Cor. 5:9-13, he does a masterful job of showing kindness toward the unchurched while holding the churched to a high standard. It's just hard to do both at the same time.

Blessings, Ben Tobias
Great thoughts Tim & Ben. I also think that the 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 speaks to this. I think we have to do some more thinking on this balance. While Paul remains under the law of Christ he doesn't just associate with the various groups mentioned, he "becomes" like one of them. I think we sub-consciously have taken this passage to mean we just have to talk to them. I don't think we really consider what it means to become one of them.
"Becoming one of them" is what missional living (my current favorite buzz-phrase) is all about. Jesus was able to do that in the Incarnation: emptying Himself without becoming less than divine. As individuals and as churches we need to be externally focused (a la Rick Rusaw and Eric Swanson's book by that title) without losing the godly character and Christlike spirit God expects from us. The "unprotected church" model intentionally takes the gospel to the street, but can't it provide a "protected" place too? For example, my church provides a Wed. PM "Family Night" that provides three hours of various activities for kids, many of whom are from the community and have no relationship with any church. They bring their problems, including a 10-year-old who took a smoking break, a 13-year-old bisexual, etc. But they're safe here, in an environment that encourages transformation.

Peace, Ben
Hi. I was referred to this post from Jim's blog (LIBHMU). This is really good stuff!! :D With regard to Paul's admonitions for holiness, and the commenter's concern for being protected: Jesus (not the institution) is our covering and protection from sin. We can't try to put man-made "sin condoms" as Tom so eloquently puts it, to block all the nasty stuff, and expect to accomplish Jesus' purpose to its full extent.

The only point here that I disagree with is sending your kids to public (or private for that matter) school. I realize that homeschooling is not for everyone, but from our perspective, sending the kids away everyday and giving someone else the responsibility for pouring into them (whatever brew they might be preparing for that purpose), is an abdication of our parental responsibility to groom them as wholehearted followers of Jesus. This is our conviction, though. YMMV.
Anonymous said...
9:19 AM
Also swam over from Jim's blog...

I recall vigorously discussing with someone at our previous church about sending our kids to private school versus public school. The final point the other guy made that I just didn't have an answer to was Am I willing to 'sacrifice my kids' in what they could be taught within public schools on my belief that we should't completely isolate ourselves and our kids from the world?

If we are always isolated from those that are not Christians, how will they know a changed life? The only thing they will "know" is the stuff they hear about, and that certainly isn't always the impression I would want to leave with those I know that aren't Christian...

Still, I don't see anything particularly wrong with family night like Ben commented on, or AWANA or teen groups or anything else. But what can be disheartening is when we won't get involved with others that have the same heart to serve - like a soup kitchen, school sports team, etc.

Just being out there in these organizations and relating personally with others IS planting seeds.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com