Brain Overload

Posted by: Tom,

How do you present ideas when you speak in public? We've heard for a long time that we should try to engage as many of the senses as possible for maximum impact. Taking cue's from the marketing world I'm careful how I use graphics when I speak. I try not to show text that I'm going to speak and I try to use pictures as much as possible.

Have you ever been frustrated by new research regarding the health of your favorite food? One day it is good for you, the next day it's killing you. You wish they would make up their minds. (I once found a huge book listing the benefits of my all time favorite drink, coffee. I went around telling people how good it it for you. Never mind that the book was written in 1920 something.) I'm beginning to feel the same way about communication.

Now as I read about cognitive load theory I'm beginning to think I'm overloading people when I speak. It seems it is good that I try not to show text on the wall while I read it but I think I may be over doing it all the same. They say that having people follow along in their Bibles while I read the text isn't a good idea either. I know more than a few people who will be thrilled with that. I guess the KISS principle is here to stay. At least until tomorrow.


1
Ha Ha Ha!

Very funny observations...
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com