Power Trip

Posted by: Tom,

"Evangelicals are enarmored with power and control. That's why numbers and measures are so important to evangelicals, and why compliance is next to godliness. What's important to evangelicals is freeing you from the world that squeezes you into its mold so evangelicalism can, in turn, squeeze you into its mold. Evangelicals resist and declare as enemy anything they can't control - including God, by the way. A post-evangelical is not a one-time evangelical who's given up on truth, she's an evangelical who's given up on control." Mike Yaconelli, comment in Dave Tomlinson's book "The Post Evangelical."

Though this might be the case in some instances I would tend to believe that control is the issue more than power.... if you can have one without the other. I especially agree with his statement on compliance though. I've found out many times that compliance is considered the eleventh commandment. Dissent isn't tolerated to well. As far as the obsession with numbers and measures... I think that has more to do with insecurity and a problem of self-worth.

At least Jesus loves me! :-D


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com