Lost In Translation

Posted by: Tom,

I recently bought “The Five Books Of Moses” by Robert Alter. It is actually a translation with his commentary. So far I really like it because he seems to be very good with pointing out the literary quality of the books. Sometimes he can do this in the translation but other times he has to fill in with commentary due to the difficulties of translating. It just seems like he provides a lot more depth to the translation.

Here is an example of the commentary from my reading today from Genesis 32:21 where Jacob prepares to meet Esau.

21. “Let me placate him with the tribute that goes before me, and after I shall look on his face, perhaps he will show me a kindly face.” The Hebrew actually has “face” four times in this brief speech. “Placate” is literally “cover over his face.” (presumably angry face); and “before me” can be broken down as “to my face.” To “look on his face” is a locution generally used for entering the presence of royalty; and “show me a kind face,” and idiom that denotes forgiveness, is literally “lift up my face” (presumably, my “fallen” or dejected face).

I don’t think many people understand how difficult it is to translate an ancient language into a modern one. There just isn’t corresponding words for a lot of ancient words and the “extra” words used to craft phrases that convey similar meaning get in the way of the literary quality. Translations like this help.

On a related issue, I wish I were better with words. I think too many of us pastors take language for granted and aren't careful enough about the words we use. I don't mean that we are careless and use words in an offensive way, although that happens too, but that we could do a much better job of creating pictures with our words that truly communicate.

Most pastors I know use a language that is simply meant to transfer information. That's what most of our sermons have become. The problem with that is that such language doesn't do much to transfer beauty, passion or love. The only time pastors seem to use a language like that is in an attempt to "exploit your emotions or pocket books". Matt. 7:15-20 (MSG) (Okay, so Peterson takes a lot of liberty here. I love the picture though.)


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com