Selling Jesus

Posted by: Tom,

A lot of folks have complained about the numerous ways the business world has tried to market Jesus. It's enough to make you feel guilty about your WWJD bracelet. It really does get disgusting when it sinks to a level of cheap and gaudy. Think Jesus bobblehead. But I was surprised to find my dear old mom among those targeted for some of these products.

My mom just loves to buy biblical games for my kids. Does Bibleopoly ring a bell? Okay, so she hasn't gotten us that one but to me they are all the same. I hate them. The ones I've tried are usually difficult to understand, force King James bible verses on kids completely out of context and remove all the competitiveness that makes games fun in the first place. (It reminds me of the guy in my kid's Upwards Basketball program who told the kids that this was a Christian league because they didn't allow stealing. Oh Brother.)

My kids now know that I refuse to play those games but my mom keeps buying them. They think it's funny. I have tried to understand the thought process behind these games and for the life of me I can't figure it out. I only guess that the developers of these games are probably not people I would enjoy hanging around with.

So my kids and I will stick to Monopoly, Old Maid, UNO, Phase 10, Skipbo, Scrabble, Connect Four, Life, Dominoes and of course Euchre with real playing cards!


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com