Denominations & Churches in the Construction Business

Posted by: Tom,

Many academics have the belief that there is no such thing as human nature. What we typically describe as human nature is actually a social construct. In this theory we humans are basically animals and therefore there is really no determining how we might behave except for the environment in which we live. Thus the great struggle to control government and education systems.

Obviously I reject this idea but I wonder if we too haven’t fallen into this type of thinking. In a Christian sense the wildcard here is the Holy Spirit. Just like the social constructionists listed above, many of whom claim to be Christians I might add, the church and denominations seem to have a strong desire to do an awful lot of constructing during the spiritual formation of the individual. Is this because they don’t trust the Holy Spirit? Is it because they are satisfied with external rather than internal transformation?

I suppose I’ve stepped on many toes here. I just get tired of the rush to legitimize our own existence by thinking we have to be in the construction business.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com