Posted by: Tom,

My very first movie review. I’ve never done one before and I probably won’t again. But I have a lot of thoughts running through my head about “The Passion of the Christ” and I thought I would write them down so I can recall them later.

First of all let me say that I thought it was an excellent and well done movie. Like most people I had heard a lot about it before I saw it and I’m not sure that is such a good thing. If you haven’t seen the movie yet I would suggest that you stop reading now and go see it first.

I don’t go to movies much for no other reason than it takes a lot to coax me to spend the money. Kim and I went to an 11:30 AM viewing so it was about lunchtime. It just seemed natural to stop by the concession stand to get some food so we bought a big soda to share as well as a big bag of popcorn and some reccees pieces. Then we went into the theater and I was struck by the thought that I had just purchased food to enjoy while I watched Jesus being tortured and killed. I felt like a Roman going to the coliseum to watch the gladiators. I didn’t eat much.

The movie started straight off without any previews. I wasn’t expecting that. I’m curious if it is because of the demographic of the crowd or the content of the film. There were only about 50 people in attendance so it was a sparse crowd.

So here goes. I’ll just list the items that struck me and then leave a few comments:

THE CARPENTER: The idea that Jesus invented the modern dining table was too hokie. It was a little bit humorous but was totally unnecessary and it causes a slight loss of creditability for the whole movie. I don’t know if there is a basis for that scene. Maybe it is pseodopygraphic.

GARDEN SCENE: I liked the garden scene and thought the representation of Satan was well done. I also like the snake scene as it brings the viewer right back to Genesis 3. I also liked the use of Aramaic. I had heard one reviewer say he thought it would have been better with out the sub-titles. That would be interesting to see.

PONTIUS PILATE: I had heard from someone that they thought Pilate was seen in too positive a light. I thought he was represented like I had imagined. I have always thought of him as a man who lived in tension with the Jewish leaders and keeping the peace of Rome and who was unable to make a firm decision.

ROMAN SOLDIERS: I have thought of the Roman Soldiers as being ruthless and cruel but not undisciplined or inefficient. I thought the movie portrayed them as a little too undisciplined at times like when they had to be ordered to stop the scourging because they had been ordered not to kill him. I also thought the procession to the cross was agonizingly slow because the soldiers were inefficient. I would have expected them to be brutal but I think they would have kept things moving. Of course I suppose they had to slow it down somewhat to fit in all the Stations of the Cross.

SATAN WITH CHILD: This one leaves a lot of questions. Some have said that the intent was to show something as beautiful and innocent as a mother and child that can then be portrayed as ugly much like evil. Evil often looks good, innocent and enticing until it is then found to be something entirely different. I have heard a few other theories on this one so I will have to study it further.

THE BEATING: Some have said that it was too much and that no one could have survived it. I didn’t get that feeling. Though horrific I never had the sense that it was impossible.

THE CRUCIFICTION: I thought the crucifixion scene was very well done. It didn’t bother me that the crow was not biblical. My favorite part of it was the tear from heaven. It did an incredible job of reinforcing the Father/Son relationship.

EMOTIONS: I wasn’t too emotional during the movie. I think there are a lot of factors that make it that way but there were two scenes that impacted me the most. Interestingly they both involved Mary. The first was when Jesus past Mary on the way to the cross and a Roman soldier asks another soldier who she is. When the soldier then explains that it is Jesus’ mother I thought it was powerful. I suppose it was because it reinforced the relationship with Jesus. I also was emotional when Mary grabbed the rocks during the crucifixion. I suppose that was because that was something I wanted to do right then.

SUFFERING & DEATH; Some have complained that the film focuses too much on suffering and death rather than the resurrection, life and hope. They say that the important thing is the resurrection rather than the death. But the Bible Includes the thought that he suffered and died for our sins and I thought it was entirely appropriate.

All in all I think this movie will impact people in various ways. I felt a little bad because I was told that seeing this movie would dramatically change my life. While I don’t think it is possible to not be changed to some degree by the things around you (for good or bad) I’m not sure that I would say that this movie will have a “dramatic” impact. As I said earlier I wish I had not heard much about the movie before I watched it.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com