Understanding

Posted by: Tom,

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5,6

That is an often quoted and well known scripture to many Christians but it occurred to me recently how difficult it is. It is of great importance when dealing with theology because I think it is easy to only believe what we can understand.

In the past decade there has been a lot discussion about theological issues like the fate of people who have never heard about Jesus, God's ability to know the future, and, most recently, is hell a real place. I'm not choosing sides for any of these in this post. I'm just saying that there has been a lot written and discussed on these issues.

What I have noticed is that in each of these issues I have heard that an alternative explanation was needed because the logical outcome of the orthodox version was incomprehensible. I understand the frustration with that and I think it is good that people discuss these issues. I think we should push hard for understanding. I just don't know when the "incomprehensible argument" became the litmus test for truth.

Didn't God yell at Job and his friends about that?


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com