Confused

Posted by: Tom,

I don't think I'm dazed yet but the Mole is being chased by Jack Spratt and Mary Mary of the NCD because of his heretical view of Jesus and his desire to be a part of an organic house church movement in Ankh-Morpork.

(I used to read several books at the same time with no problem but maybe I'm getting to old for this.)


4
For decades I had three or four (or five) books going at a time, but figured out about a decade ago that I then finished fewer of them than I wanted. I then picked up a habit of a friend of mine, to only read one book at a time, and to read it through to completion, whether I liked it or not (which makes for a bit more thought when picking out a book to read). I ended up getting many, MANY more books read that way.

Lately I've started reading multiple books at a time again, but it is a bit different. One is the Bible (supposed to read that daily anyway, right?). One is "devotional" (although I don't really like most typical devotional readings - currently I am re-reading Merton's "New Seeds of Contemplation." And then I have one "real" book going, which happens to be Raymond E. Brown's "Introduction to the New Testament," which I'm just about done with (and have read the NT all through again as part of it).

There are days it feels like a bit of a juggle to get it all read, and so I let things slide (typically the Merton first). I don't think I'll try for any more parallelism than that, though, because for me it just doesn't work, and your post is a perfect example as to why.
Jim, I'll leave the Bible out of it lest I be accused of something. But as for the rest of your current reading, where is the fun stuff???

But I do know what you mean. It's just that whenever I find myself just reading books that are ministry related or books that are supposed to be good for me I start to whither. That's when I pick up a good story and it sort of balances things out. I try to keep at least one good story going all the time to help with that or at least rotate one in at regular intervals. Heck, right now I'm reading "The Wind in the Willows" and I think the last time I read that was 30+ years ago.

Of course, that's also why I can never keep up with Dan's reading. He always gets done reading books before I do.
Who says Raymond E. Brown isn't fun? :o)

Actually, I do read for fun, but "fun" for me is rarely fiction any more (and then it tends to be re-readings of favorite books, e.g., "The Glass Bead Game"). But I love to read about history, and science, and lighter fare such as Twain (the travel writings and essays more than his fiction), and books of movie reviews of BAD movies (a small genre, but a fun one). In fact, related to that I just read this, which was great.
Hey, I think I only read 10 books this year. That's about how many you guys read at a time, isn't it?

And it's a good thing there were comments here, because I had no idea what this post was about.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com