Strengths

Posted by: Tom,

Several years ago Christian Schwarz did research on what were the eight essential qualities of a healthy church. I think it was well done research and he developed Natural Church Development (NCD) out of it. The theory was that you should identify your weaknesses out of the eight qualities and work to improve them. It was the old "weakest link" argument. Our church took one of the assessments that they provided and I think our weakest quality was Ministry but I don't remember for sure.

The thing I liked about NCD was its emphasis on a biotic approach. It recognized that a church is a living, breathing organism and not a machine. That fit well with the weakest link idea because nature is filled with examples of the weakest link being the limiting factor. (A mineral deficiency will stunt plant growth.)

But working on your weaknesses can be depressing. Who wants to put tons of effort into what your bad at doing? Gallup has now come out with a new report that basically says that strength based development nets you the biggest return. One of the big reasons for this is employees are motivated because they love their work. Interesting. I think Schwarz might have identified the problem but missed how you fix it.


6
Somehow I am saddened by thinking of churches doing any sort of "SWOT analysis" at all.

If church is not a business, why do we treat it that way?
I can only speak from my own experience but when I started using that mantra I didn't have anything to replace it with. And while I thought that was a good thing at first I think we ended up pretty dysfunctional. Idealistic as I may want to be there is also a practical element that needs to be factored in.

My favorite analogy for a church is an expedition. I am a fan of books detailing expeditions to places like Everest, the South Pole, and the like. An expedition is a group of people trying to accomplish a common goal. They all bring something different to the table....

Ah I've written this before somewhere but the point is there is still a need for leadership and organization. In fact we even see it in Scripture so while I don't like thinking of church as a business it still requires leadership.
Ah...You need to read some Shipton and Tilman, son. Especially Tilman. Sometimes "leadership" means "servitude". And usually it means traveling fast and light and changing plans on the fly.
I love that stuff. But I seemed to have really hit a nerve. Your last two sentences seems to be addressing some perceptions that have popped into your head. I think I triggered some bad memories of past experiences??? My guess is you had a bad experience with a leader who espoused some leadership "principles" and then used them to justify an authoritarian, heavy handed, dictatorial leadership style??
Oh, no - nothing like that. I came across a bit stronger than I should have, perhaps. My discontent is around a comfortable, inwardly focused upper middle class church and a management, er, I mean leadership structure that likes it that way. Or doesn't want to rock the boat because then the elders would toss them out, perhaps (I know better that to just blame the pastor!)

I am having an offline conversation about this very topic with another blogger - I may send you the same email. Because mostly the issue is me.
Anonymous said...
4:10 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com