Olympics

Posted by: Tom,

I love the Olympics. The dramatic finishes in the swimming have been terrific. Any soccer tournament is worthwhile. USA Basketball looks like they've got it together. But the best for me is the track and field.

I love the sprints and Bolt was just amazing in the 100m. (I'm worried that Matt Millen will see if he can catch a football.) The women's 100 was also great. I spent most of the first four years of my life in Jamaica and while I remember very little of it I still have a soft spot for them. I can't imagine how ecstatic the country must be right now.

I think I like track and field because they seem to be the root sports of the Olympics. Say "Olympics" and I think of a statue of a Greek guy throwing a discus. With that in mind there are several sports that I think need to be dropped.

First, take out anything with the word "synchronized" in it.

Take away any sport that requires a special building. Does anyone have a hippodrome in their backyard?

Can we just do away with all the fighting? Are boxing, fencing, wrestling, tae kwon do, etc., even necessary. I know some of them might be "original" but do we need to promote violence now days. That goes for the shooting sports too. I suppose that some would argue that these sports actually promote peace because it allows people to get physical or use weapons in a peaceful way but I'm just tired of it. (I do like to shoot skeet though. I'm so conflicted.)

I know it will never happen because of the money but I could do without the gymnastics. Any sport where the best in the world are in their early teens should be banned. It is ridiculous that kids that young grow up with that kind of pressure. Set the minimum age for all sports at 18.

I have to grudgingly admit that beach volleyball has to go. Michael Rosenburg had the best article on this in the Detroit Free Press and he is right about the women's side of the sport. "It is the only sport where you can take away the ball and nobody notices."

They also need to take away every sport that has a bigger championship somewhere else. Baseball, tennis, basketball, and even my beloved soccer all fit this category.

I won't even comment on trampoline.

Some sports need to be modified. Rowers should not be using equipment that can only be found at snooty private schools. Give them a dug-out canoe and I'm all for it.

In spite of a host of problems I have to admit to being addicted to the games. I love the immense amount of coverage and I'm sure I can justify spending huge amounts of time watching it by finding sermon illustrations. Hey, the Apostle Paul did it. I need to get 4 years worth, after all.


2
LoL - But Tom - Hippodromes ares ancient Greek in origin (they were superseded by the Roman Circuses). They are right up there with Field and Track :)

Generally - I don't like the Olympics, hate watching almost any of the events. But if I did watch more, it would be the fencing/shooting/rowing, and horsemanship events
You must own a mac. :-)
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com