Pre-existing Conditions

Posted by: Tom,

When I signed up for our insurance I was asked if anyone in my family had any pre-existing medical conditions. A theological discussion I was reading the other day reminded me of that.

What if I had told my insurance company that there were none that I was aware of? After all, how can you be aware of an ailment that doesn't exist yet. There may be existing medical conditions but they would hardly qualify as "pre" since they had already manifested themselves.

I know that I wouldn't get away with it but it might be an interesting argument. I'm sure that they would tell me that the "pre" referred to their insurance policy going into force and they would hammer away at the fact that the term is standard usage. I would love to hear of someone winning such a case though, just for the fun of it. That's why I would make a lousy judge.


3
Tom:

You ever noticed the ultimate pre-existing medical condition is our lives themselves? :-)
Good point Jim. I think I'll try putting that down on my next insurance form.
You could also try writing "Health" under "Pre-existing Conditions". :-)
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com