The Art of Storytelling

Posted by: Tom,

A popular comment to pastors is, "Jesus used stories so you should use stories when you preach." That sounds great but being a good storyteller is a lot harder than it sounds.

A few "experts" have picked up on this and they have written stories rather than the dissertation format we usually get in their books. I recently finished just such a book and, while I will applaud the attempt, I have to say the writing was pretty lousy. I mean it is not like I'm going to go around telling people to read the book just because the story is so good. I would only tell them to read the book if I thought the knowledge gained would be worth it for them.

So my advice is to be careful about telling stories. Know that storytelling is an art form that takes work and practice. If you aren't that good at it be sure to use what you are good at until your storytelling skills have improved. It's not easy and unless you are naturally gifted at it you need to learn how to do it properly first.

I have a sudden urge to go read Dostoevsky now.


2
Yes, I agree. My homiletics prof. forced us to all learn to write the basic 3-point sermon. A lot of people argued with this, and he just flat out told us, "When you're as good as you *think* you are, THEN you can do something else." He was right.

I still preach basic expository sermons - not because I think it's always the best way - I like a good storyteller..... but I'm not one of them.

Someday, maybe...
So have you ever seen a class on story telling? I think I'll write a book about all the classes they should have taught in seminary but didn't.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com