Unexpected Squeaks

Posted by: Tom,

We have one of those new open air malls in our area that is great when the weather is good but will have you dashing from building to building when it is cold, snowy or raining. In front of the Sharper Image store there is a big circle of paving bricks that acts like an intersection of sorts for the various pathways running through the mall. If you stand right in the center of the circle and clap your hands you will hear an odd sounding squeak. It has something to do with the positioning of the buildings and their acoustic properties I assume.

Every now and then you will see people standing there giving it a try. It seems that about half the people know what is going on while the other half just thinks people are crazy. I'm not sure if this little peculiarity was planned but I doubt it. I think the architect was simply drawing lines off the buildings and placed the brick circle where the lines intersected. That just happened to be where the acoustics were just right for the squeak. An accidental quirk.

I like surprises. Even odd ones like this squeak. I hope I keep enjoying this wonderful creation of God's and appreciate all the surprises it brings.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com