The Guarantee

Posted by: Tom,

"... any program or paradigm or model or system that purports to be timeless - or, for that matter, 'guaranteed to work' - is to be avoided at all costs!" Mark Oestreicher

I think that so many times we overestimate ourselves and underestimate (or maybe misunderstand) God. I am really happy when people find a program or paradigm or model or system that works for them and their church. I get tired of them insisting that it is something we should all do though. The implied "it comes from God" is presumptuous at best and not to far from heresey. Half the time I feel like I need to just follow a "get out of God's way" strategy. I'm sure there are many would agree that "I" need to do that.

This is why I don't want more than the essentials at the denominational level. For example, there is a lot of talk about a healthy church initiative. I totally disagree that the denomination should be involved in such a thing. Haven't we learned anything from the past? Instead we should allow a Healthy Church Association to develop within our denomination (or even outside) that churches are free to join. They can then support it and hire whatever staff is needed and pay for any resources they desire.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com