Evangelism and Discipleship

Posted by: Tom,

First for the disclaimer: The following is simply me trying to get a handle on a topic that my brother Dave and I had a conversation about. Dave was telling me about some speakers he had heard and I in no way mean to describe Dave's own beliefs. Let me say again that this does not necessarily represent my belief one way or the other either but is simply a reflection of my trying to think it through.




Evangelism and Discipleship

Orthodox Methodology


Discipleship Only Methodology


Questions:
1. Which process did Jesus use on the disciples?
2. At what point were the disciples “saved”?
3. Can someone be a follower of Jesus before repenting and believing that He is the Messiah? (Still outside the circle.)
4. What is the difference between being a seeker and a follower of Christ?What difference does any of this make?


1
Randy,

I haven't thought of this with a pomo view in mind. The conversation was in the context of working in other countries with other religions. However, your concern about what "point where I am this and no longer that" is even more of an issue in this context and, as I am sure you are well aware, creates much controversy. I think many North American Christians would be shocked at what missiologists have come to believe because of their interaction with other cultures and religions. I would guess that what you are reading about pomos is very similar and probably has missiological roots (if that makes any sense). I greatly struggle with some of these beliefs too.

In regards to the oxymoron, I was thinking of the fact that there are many other religions who hold Jesus in very high regard and would allow adherents to be a "follower" of Him. Of course they would not hold to the exclusivity that we do or believe necessarily in his atoning work on the cross but they would be followers nontheless. The idea is that Christians could use this idea to develop discipling relationships that lead to salvation. What I was attempting was to apply that to people here who have similar feelings about Jesus and the church.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com