Forced to Pastor

Posted by: Tom,

I have the second floor of Lutheran Hospital nearly surrounded with parishoners staying in three of the four corners of the building. All three are serious life and death issues with a lot of family involved. I've spent a lot of time there.

A pastor usually has some degree of latitude when it comes to doing his work. He usually has time to prepare for facing tough issues, sometimes even days or weeks. Much of pastor work can be scheduled and often there is a sense of routine involved. Usually there is space to retreat and regroup before rejoining the fray.

But health issues turn this upside down. I don't have the time or space to think things through like I normally do. I have to be a pastor by the seat of my pants so to speak. It is frightening and I become very aware of my shortcomings in these situations. Thankfully I usually find the people I minister to in these situations very gracious towards me. It is very humbling.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com