Another Sign of the Apocalypse

Posted by: Tom,

"Football (soccer) is not a matter of life and death... it's more important than that." - Bill Shankly

Of course many would disagree with the late coach's comment but so many around the world apparently live by this creed. While watching my favorite soccer channel over lunch today I about fell off my chair when they ran a story about a soccer team specific cemetery. This hasn't happened yet but apparently a cemetery worker in Argentina noticed all the football related articles being left at gravesites and thought it would be good just to have a cemetery dedicated to a single team. In this case the team was Boca Juniors, Argentina's most famous team (I prefer River myself), and the idea was that a mausoleum type structure would be built at Boca's home stadium where departed fans and players could have their ashes deposited.

I am a big fan of a lot of teams in this world. Some are great (Red Wings, Pistons) and some stink (Tigers, Lions). I'm a big enough of a fan that I usually can't watch my teams play a playoff game because I can't endure the agony. I even endure rude and crude message boards just to keep up with my teams.

I can't imagine being such a big fan that I would want my ashes placed in my favorite team's stadium though. In fact, I think it would be sad if anyone mentions my sports fanaticism at my funeral. Hopefully I'm a little more well rounded than that.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com