UB Alternative and Leadership

Posted by: Tom,

As our denomination has pondered joining the Missionary Church it naturally has led to other proposals being suggested. The most notable is what is now known as UB Hope. Or is it UBhope? Though I believe that we should not join the MC I have great doubts that the alternative will really be any better.

One of the things I am looking for is freedom to associate, encourage, learn from and work with other pastors & churches that share a similar philosophy of ministry. Problems would be dealt with as locally as possible. Rather quickly it appears that the UBhope folks are looking to set up committees to address problems nationally. I think some people just feel a need to do something and they have a hard time letting go.

I also think we are having a hard time breaking away from an old idea of what a leader is and does. We are used to a strong visionary leader who "knows" what each church should be doing and tells us how to do it. Unfortunately this era has come to an end. I believe that with technology today it is too easy to hear too many great messages from just about anybody. Things like blogs allow idiots like me to publish their ideas even if only two people read them per month. The fact is leadership must become much more collaborative. We need a leader who makes us think not just tells us what we need to do. Who stretches our minds not just rants about yet another dominational program. Who asks the right questions not just parrots answers and advice from the latest leadership guru.

Ahh well. It is rather depressing watching the wreckage accumulate. Fortunately these things are peripheral to me living out my passion here in Zland.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com