Strength

Posted by: Tom,

So I read the "Strengths Based Leadership" book. Actually there are about 100 pages of explanation followed by a breakdown of the the 34 themes and the four domains they fall into. The book also includes a code that lets you take a strengths assessment.

My top 5 strengths are Ideation, Learner, Strategic, Futuristic, and Intellection. I won't even try to explain them since even the spellchecker goes nuts on two of them. They all fall in the Strategic Thinking domain. I got nothing in the Executing, Influencing, or Relation Building domains which was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Hoping the assessment was screwed up I took the results home to my wife to look over. She says the descriptions fit. Oh well.

Looking back on it I guess it does make some sense. I desperately need to get a few executors around me. People that get things done. The assessment says I also need people who can woo people (influencers) and a lot of relationship builders. I have the last two around me but I need executors.

The last time our benevolence association met I presented an idea that would grow us into something that I think would go along way to addressing needs in our community and getting a lot of people using their gifts. I like the idea but I fear there won't be anyone who will step in and make it happen. Now I know why I think that way, because I'm not an executor.

A few years ago I served on an executive team. I ticked off one of the leaders because I suggested an alternative view on something he was pushing. I felt pretty frustrated at the time and dropped off when the next round of elections came up. Now it makes sense because the only thing I was bringing to the table was strategic thinking and that's not what they were looking for. I think they were looking for more influencers and relationship builders who could take what they were selling and promote it among the constituency.

So I guess it makes sense but I don't know where it leaves me. I'm not sure it fits very well with my situation. I think it would have been helpful if I had a few strengths in another domain or two. My first thought was to work on improving in some of the other areas but that goes completely against the premise of the book. Don't waste time on your weaknesses, develop and use your strengths.


1
I've been thinking the same thing about myself: what I seem to be finding out is that I don't fit very well in my situation. Hmm.

And I can't believe you read the entire book already! I haven't even opened it yet.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com