Intrigue

Posted by: Tom,

"Soap Box Ranting"

Maybe it is just me but it seems that way too many people are using the word "intrigue" far too often. I used to hear it every now and then and figured it was a good word. But now that everyone is intrigued or finds something intriguing the word has been ruined.

Intrigue used to be a word best reserved for spy novels. It slowly made its way into the crime genre and associated big screen flicks. That was all okay. I don't know what the official definition of intrigue is but it seems to fit well with espionage, counter intelligence, double agents, and blackmail. The word knew its place and played a powerful descriptive role.

Then people started to use the word in ordinary ways. The first time I heard someone say "I'm intrigued by that," I thought it sounded out of place. It gave the word a sort of pompous attitude that made the speakers of it sound quite a bit more intelligent than evidence suggested. Were they really intrigued by an idea? As if it could stab them in the back at any moment, or something?

Now I see the word used all the time. Today I saw a headline "Intriguing People of 2009." Really? Either the word has changed or all those spy novels I've read weren't as (ahem) intriguing as I thought they were.

So I am hereby asking everyone to stop using the word unless they are referring to something that is really, actually intriguing. If you find yourself about ready to say or write the word please stop and check yourself. Ask if the word is really appropriate for the situation. Perhaps a word like "fascinated" or "interested" or "curious" would be better suit the situation. Intrigue has a dark dimension to it and I would hate to see it lose that quality.

Of course, let me offer some grace to those of you who have allowed this word to slip into inappropriate places of your vocabulary. It is not your fault. Like most words they tend to sneak up on us with such subtlety that we don't even notice. I just ask that from this point forward you be more cautious.

Thank you.


2
Perhaps there has been some intrigue by the dark shadowy forces to dilute the meaning of "intrigue."
There you go. That sounds dark enough.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com