Supernatural

Posted by: Tom,

Yeah, I have the album but that's not what I'm talking about. I recall a comment I read somewhere that I think came from G. Boyd. "If it has flesh and blood then it is not my enemy." The point he was making was that his battles weren't with people, they were with the powers of darkness. That sounds so basic but I would bet that most Christians don't even think about that.

Ephesians 6:12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (TNIV)


In spite of this I think most Christians are at war precisely with flesh and blood. We don't differentiate between flesh and blood and the supernatural. We tend to see them as one and the same. Did you catch the last line of that verse? "...spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Wow!

I think the problem is we don't like to think about the supernatural. If any one knew we talked about "ghosts" they would think we were crazy. It even freaks us out. We'd rather deal with what we can see, and touch, and hear.

So we pick on people who are made in the image of God instead. People who God loves and cares about. Granted, they are in bondage to some spiritual force of evil, but so are/were we. I think Boyd's credo is pretty good. "If it's made of flesh and blood then it's not my enemy."


2
Thanks Tom. I needed the reminder today in particular.

Mike
No problem, Mike, but I really don't mean to take up all your time with stupid css questions. :-)
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com