Should it really ought to be?

Posted by: Tom,

Wow, that title is confusing! Actually, I was thinking about my propensity to strongly believe that things ought to be the way I think they should and how that could very well lead me into huge mistakes. I think it was Rush L. who wrote a book entitled "The Way Things Ought To Be" which I find to be a terribly arrogant thing to say whether right or wrong.

I am not talking about absolutes here so I am keeping my thoughts on things that I strongly believe, feel I have supporting evidence for (although maybe anecdotal) and things I have reached conclusions about through reason and logic. But what if, after all things are considered, I am wrong. What if the way I think things ought to be is not the way things should be? Can I see that or am I blinded by my own stubbornness? Is there a way to monitor progress and recognize mistaken beliefs early so that corrections can be made?

On the other hand, decisiveness and consistency are usually good things. Indecisiveness will cause stagnation and I would probably never get anything accomplished. I would never learn anything either. I guess I just need to be aware that I may be wrong and willing to change if necessary.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com