In Need of Grace

Posted by: Tom,

I like personally offering communion to each one who comes to receive it. We have used several methods with regards to the mechanics of partaking but there is something special about the personal contact for me. I get a little glimpse into the lives of those who partake.

Some come with a sense of wonder and awe. Others come with a sense of respect and honor. Unfortunately there are a few who come with a sense of obligation or duty. I am surprised at how easy it appears to read these things, especially since I'm not that great at reading people. Maybe it is something about what we are doing that tends to remove the masks.

But there are a few who come that I can't get out of my mind. I think it is because they present a need that I don't know how to respond to, or maybe can't respond to. These come with a look of desperation. Something is not right. They seem grateful for this connection they are making with God because they feel there is nowhere left to turn. Their pain is obvious as they force a slight smile at me as they receive the elements.

They are focused on what they are doing because they seem to be hoping for something magical to happen as they participate in communion. I wonder if they are disappointed or if they actually find what they are looking for. My guess is that their hope grows somewhat because they feel they have touched the Almighty. Their loneliness is alleviated somewhat. They have been touched by grace.

I'm not sure where to go from here. These folks need to know they are loved. That they are not alone. I probably can't fix what they are struggling with and I know these struggles sometimes take a lot of time. But it is an incredible thing to see God's grace at work and I want to be part of it.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com