Critical Thinking on Christian Campuses

Posted by: Tom,

A friend of mine has a kid looking at colleges right now. He wants to find one where critical thinking is not only defended but actually encouraged. Those are two entirely different things.

It is ironic that critical thinking is vigorously defended and championed by most academic types yet they are the very ones who discourage its practice by their students. A mantra I hear from the players on my soccer team is "give the professors what they want to hear and you will be okay." Some of my seniors moan about the loss of the critical thinking skills they had when they came out of high school. These aren't dumb students either. I hear this from some of the brightest.

Perhaps the academic world breeds a level of insecurity that resists critical thinking. Are professors afraid of being challenged, or worse, being found wrong? Are their conclusions so far out on a limb that they feel a strong need to defend their arguments not by debate but by control? I suppose if your life's work is tied to a specific belief you do have a tendency to protect it at all costs.

This is not just my university either. It seems to be widespread in the academic world, at elast in Christian circles. So just where is the Christian college that encourages critical thinking? I'd like to know.


2
Anonymous said...
7:39 PM
Critical thinking is not the same thing as balanced thinking. What you have hinted at as "a specific belief" that is defended at all costs does not preclude the invalidity of that belief.

Much of scientific thought is based on tested theory, and unless proven wrong can rightly be taught excluding other opinions.

I talk about critical thinking in my latest blog entry: http://jasonsears.modblog.com/core.mod?show=blogview&blog_id=768237
Hi Jason, I am only saying that when you have your life completely tied up in your dissertation you might be a little inclined to lose objectivity. I would also guess that they have defended their conclusions aginst what students may bring up so many times they get tired of hearing it. But isn't their a better way to help students learn to think than just being dismissive?
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com