The Good Shepherd

Posted by: Tom,

I'm having an argument (I suppose debate would be a better word) with a friend who is doing his thesis on shepherding in a biblical sense. I should probably give up becasue he is doing the research and I'm doing the very dangerous activity of thinking off the top of my head. Unfortunately, I can't help myself.

My argument is that the life of an oriental shepherd was a lonely one. That is they spent much of their time alone with their sheep leading (not herding) them to food and water. At night they would return to permanent folds near home or temporary ones built near the pastures they were currently using. Only at these times did they come together with other shepherds and cooperate with others to protect the sheep. (I also assume that this was a great time for building friendships, sharing ideas and learning new things.)

My friend rejects this lonely aspect and believes that they worked together much more than that. Therefore we apply it differently to our work as pastors. I say that pastoring is a lonely vocation and pastors should expect it. He says pastors should work together with other pastors in their congregation, even though those "other pastors" are not official and are basically lay leaders, to shepherd the flock. I say that while they should work together there is still a difference and that even pastors of multistaff churches should expect loneliness. He says that there is no difference between multistaff churches and single staff churches except the lay leaders in one are official in the other.

Which ever way I end up going on this I am grateful that the Good Shepherd has entrusted me with a portion of His flock not as a hireling but has His child. On the other hand that means that I must be een more dedicated to my flock and not runaway when it faces danger.

By the way, I also think we don't do enough of the shepherds getting together thing.


3
I have a ##Why the Lions are going to stink again this year## site/blog. It pretty much covers ##Why the Lions are going to stink again this year## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time ;-)
Anyway, as to the topic at hand...

I don't see how being a pastor/shepherd can be anything but a lonely calling. Sure there are people that we work with, even within the congregation, but more is expected from the shepherd.

I've read some stuff from a guy involved in the Plymouth Brethren, where they have no permanent pastors/shepherds. While I think the shepherding aspect CAN be fulfilled by the congregation as a whole, I can't help but think that these churches tend to become more committed to self-preservation than in actively pursuing the will of God -- especially if change is needed. I would also be a little cautious about anything taught doctrinally by someone who teaches once every couple of month. But I'm just talking off the top of my head... ;)
Unfortunately, inspite of yesterdays win, I think I could probably be a major contributor to your "why the Lions stink site."As to shepherding, it bothered me enough that I did spend some time in the library on it the other day and I think I'm right about it being lonely. That is not necessarily a bad thing though. I think people who have a heart for shepherding find it adventurous and maybe even a bit romantic.

Sorry about the spam but my browser has to many work arounds for me to trash it easily. That's why I enabled word verification though.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com