The Role of the Bishop

Posted by: Tom,

I attended the meetings of our denominations national board earlier this week. I usually avoid such things but since much of their work is for the national conference this summer I thought I should attend since I will be a delegate.

One of the topics that was discussed was the role of the Bishop. It wasn't a long discussion really but I think there is some confusion there. Such groups are often under pressure to produce something that sounds good. We want to give our leader a list of duties that sound important and worthwhile. Unfortunately I think one of his most important duties doesn't fit in a list very well.

It is hard to name what I am talking about. Perhaps "perspective keeper" his helpful. I think we need someone whose job it is is to look at the big picture from an outside perspective and keep us on track. Eugene Peterson uses an illustration of a harpooner in a whaling boat. As the sailors are frantically rowing to get close enough to harpoon the harpooner sits quietly and waits. If he too would row he would not be steady enough when the time came to throw the harpoon. Amid the frantic activity in the boat he must remain calm.

We need that as a denomination. As us pastors are frantically involved with our churches we need someone who keeps perspective for us. We need someone who steps in and helps keep us on course when we start heading in the wrong direction and don't see it because we are to busy rowing.

Peterson also refers to this as "lashed to the mast." There will be times when we will go to him suggesting another direction. It is up to him to hold fast to the Word and insist we get back on track. He can't be about pleasing us. He must help us stay on course.

For this I need a leader who is dedicated to spending vast quantities of time with God in prayer, in the Word and in meditation. I need a leader who takes time to survey the territory and is dedicated to understanding the times. I need a history who knows our story, where we have been and where we need to go.

Every now and then a strong charismatic leader may come along who helps us take large growth steps by sheer force of his personality. That's fine but it's not necessary. We have plenty of creative and intelligent people who just need the right environment to thrive. They just need to know someone has got their back and is keeping watch for them.


1
Excellent post, Tom. "Perspective Keeper" is a term worth remembering.

Peterson's comment reminds me of Melville's words in Moby Dick but, as I recall (and I might be wrong here) Melville complained that too often the harpooner was as busy rowing as the rest of them.

Whether my memory is correct or not, it certainly is true that we "rowers" often expect our leaders to be as busy as we are -- and then we complain when they don't shoot straight.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com