Fight

Posted by: Tom,

I really don't like ruining Christmas but I am a little concerned I may do just that with my sermon this Sunday. Christmas is one of those times of year when people take in the glittering lights, the piles of gifts, and, if they dig deep enough, an image of Mary & Joseph hunched over a beautiful baby Jesus laying in a manger. (It's usually a lily white baby Jesus too, but that's another topic.) These images make us want to sit back and say, "Awww, how precious."

In actuality that baby in a manger is the result of a decision to take up a fight, to get down and dirty with the gloves off, to go ahead and accept a battering, bruising, and bloody fight. The way I see it, God had a decision to make about this 3rd planet from the sun. Seeing the mess it was in, the simply thing to do would have been to obliterate it. It was hardly worth saving. Instead God decided redemption would be the better way so he entered the fight in the only way it would work, as a vulnerable baby born in a barn located in an insignificant town.

When I connect that baby in a manger with the God making that decision about this planet it changes things. That baby suddenly doesn't seem so warm and cuddly. It represents a gauntlet thrown down to Satan. It says God loves this world enough to fight for it and he has arrived, ready for battle. It's not a publicity stunt either. Otherwise God would have arrived with pomp and circumstances befitting a champion, and not in a lowly manger. He's not hiding behind 10,000 angels because he can't win the prize that way. He arrives naked with no gimmicks. This is serious. This is a battle. This is God confronting the enemy.

I hope I don't ruin Christmas for people by connecting the baby Jesus to a battle. (I know some people get tired of all the military talk we use all the time. But if we learned to fight like Jesus that wouldn't be a problem.) I hate to take away your "Awww" moment. But I do hope we'll learn to love enough to fight. Love our families, love our friends, and love our church communities enough to fight for them. Love others enough to fight for them. And love God enough to fight for him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com