Yikes, More Sin.

Posted by: Tom,

Just when you thought you had a handle on the 7 deadly sins out comes a list with even more. This article on the CNN website starts with "A Vatican official has listed drugs, pollution and genetic manipulations as well as social and economic injustices as new areas of sinful behavior."

I kind of like the move toward sins with "social resonance" as they describe them because I think all to often we only think of ourselves and forget about our society as a whole. And I do think it sometimes helps to point out behavior that we don't necessarily notice is sinful.

But here is the downside with these lists. Some people are going to see them as a check list. As long as they don't do them, or get them absolved if they do commit them, then everything is alright. Righteousness ceases to be a matter of the heart, there is no relationship with God, and we go back to being a follower of Christ in name only.

It will be interesting to see how people respond to these additions. In the meantime I better go sharpen my pencil. This stuff is getting hard to keep track of.


2
When I, as a mainstream evangelical Reformed believer, hear news stories like this, it truly and genuinely puzzles me.

I'm not anti-RCC; I consider myself pretty open-minded and "inclusive".

But this sort of thing just seems so far removed from the God I serve. His Holy Spirit convicts my heart when I'm in sin, and covers me with grace when I don't even realize I'm sinning. It almost seems like someone cut Galatians 5 (and a lot of other chapters, too) out of all the Bibles at the Vatican.

I will take this story, as reported by the media, with a grain of salt though. They seem to have a way of mucking up what was really said, or presenting things in a light that was never intended.
I often feel the same way, CH, but as the article suggests this is probably based on an agenda so I think it is easy to take out of context.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com