Every Now And Then

Posted by: Tom,

I often wonder what people where thinking when they build things. How many times have you heard of a business decide to build a bigger building only to find that they have outgrown their new facility a year later? Community planners seem to also run into this problem.

This year I got stuck in a parking lot at our closest mall because the road system couldn't handle the traffic flow. The first time I was in one parking lot looking wistfully across the traffic to our local chocolate shop. I wanted to buy some truffles for my wife but getting to the shop seemed like it would be imposible. I was about ready to just walk when I remembered that the shop had a branch in our local airport which has free 30 minute parking , no lines and is on the way home. With plan B looking like a viable option I found a back way out of the parking lot and scurried away from the traffic as fast as I could.

Unbelievably, I found myself in the same parking lot a few days later staring at the exact same traffic jam. I had foolishly thought that things would be better now that Christmas was over but apparently there were a lot of people who were not satisfied with their gifts or still had money to burn this year. As I looked at the mess I began to wonder why the planners hadn't come up with a better system that would have let the traffic flow better.

The reality is that this only happens a few times a year and the rest of the time it isn't too bad. But has humans we always want the best. I hate buying computers because I have a tendency to way over buy for my needs. Satisfaction can be somewhat elusive.

I think I'm going to work on being more satisfied this year.


 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com