Innocent as Doves

Posted by: Tom,

Many of his readers (Eugene Petersen for one) see Fyodor Dostoevsky as not only a brilliant author but also as a pretty good theologian. I enjoy reading his stuff too but I especially liked "The Idiot" because of its portrayal of what is believed to be Dostoevsky's idea of Christ made flesh among the Russian aristocracy. Prince Mishkin subverts the prevailing culture by being able to love unconditionally an incredibly wide range of individuals no matter how awful they treat him. He is often thought of as an idiot but in spite of this he is admired by one and all and is able to have a huge impact on their lives due to his innocence and unconditional love.

I was thinking today of Forest Gump and I wondered how much of that story was influenced by "The Idiot" because there is a similar subversion that takes place. The most remarkable affect is on Jenny and Lieutenant Dan. No matter how hard they try to discourage or push Forrest away he won't leave.

I want to influence people that way.


2
Hi Tom,
I'm not very familiar with Dostoevsky's work. But I think I can see the point you are making anyway...
Dostoevsky is the most brilliant writer I've ever read. I wade through his books almost bored to tears, but close the last pages forever changed. Karamazov, Raskolnikov (sp?), and Myshkin: these fictionalized men are mentors to me, both for good and bad.
 
photo

I'm Tom. I have a wonderful wife, 4 kids, a dog, and a cat. What more could a guy want.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com